Friday, September 16, 2011

Bonjour from Lacoste, France

I have finally arrived and am settled in Lacoste (minus one suitcase, but I've been promised its safe delivery in a matter of days). Tonight is devoted to sleep and a bit of exploring, then tomorrow we're going to a market and picnic in Apt.

This village is magnificent. The views, the balconies, the gardens, the secret gardens, the nooks and caves, the library - oh, the library - are a dream come true. I'm having a hard time believing this is real life.

There are about thirty of us American students total, and we are all jet-lagged. I left home before 9:00 a.m. yesterday, spent a six-hour layover in Atlanta stressed about luggage but determined to soak up as much information about Lacoste from Old Provence as possible. (If you, reader, want to know more about the area I'm in, I recommend A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle.)

The flight overseas was was long and uneventful. Traveling became easier once I met up with a small group of other students.
I will need to learn more French.

Trying to sync up with French time, I stopped for a quick shot of espresso. Having sufficiently burned my tongue, I am ready for my first flavors of France.

No comments:

Post a Comment